|Districts of the era (Summary)
The districts of the era were located in the Lower-Town and Upper-Town areas (They were, with Limoilou and Des Rivières, the four administratives areas of Quebec).
The Upper-Town area includes Cap-Diamant. The abondance of recreational and tourist installations as well as the important institutionnal presence gives it a reputation of prestige and quality. Old-Quebec/Upper-Town is classified historically as representing an era.
The Lower-Town area stretches from the foot of Cap-Blanc cliff to the Old-Port. In contrast to Upper-Town, its environment is recognized as being unequal in quality and being of higher density in terms of occupation. It is common place to see a row of buildings of three or four storeys. Old-Quebec/Lower-Town and Cap-Blanc are also districts classified as representing an era.
A tale to tell
Crouched at the foot of Cap Diamant, Lower-Town takes on, with the arrival of Samuel de Champlain, in 1608, a commercial and harbour look. From the top of its promontory, Upper-Town attracts mainly the religious and administrative institutions which, during the XVIIIth century, will be framed in and protected by a fortified wall.
Until the end of the XIXth century, the port, markets and boutiques animated the Lower-Town, while military life was in full swing alongside monasteries and convents in Upper-Town.
A «jewel» enriched by 4 centuries of history delivered to the international community
«Including nearly the entire historical zone as designated in 1963, the Old-Quebec and Cap-Blanc districts possess architectural treasures, that led to recognition by UNESCO in 1985. It's nearly four centuries of history that this «jewel» reveals to the international community.»